Crown Lengthening Londonderry NH
Most people have heard of dental crowns, but not as many are familiar with crown lengthening, a surgical procedure that removes gum tissue to expose more of the tooth. Crown lengthening is performed for both aesthetic or health and safety benefits.
Why Is Crown Lengthening Done?
Crown lengthening (or periodontic surgery) is performed for a variety of reasons. Dr. Krothapalli may suggest the procedure in order to:
- Fix excessive gum tissue (also known as "excessive gingival display" or a "gummy smile") for cosmetic reasons
- Remove tooth decay that goes below the gum line
- Gain access to a tooth that has broken off at the gum line to ensure a proper fit for a dental crown
If teeth appear to be too short or are covered with gum tissue that makes you less than confident about your appearance, our dentists may suggest crown lengthening to improve the look and feel of your teeth. But the procedure is also done for health-related reasons, such as protecting teeth from decay or eliminating the problems often associated with a poorly-fitted dental crown.
How Crown Lengthening Works
Crown lengthening is a fairly simple process, usually done with only local anesthetic. It involves removing gum tissue and sometimes bone in order to expose more of a tooth's structure, and it can be done on one tooth or several at once.
In cases where a tooth has extreme decay or has broken near the gum line, only one tooth will be lengthened in order to fit a crown. But if excessive gum tissue has made crown lengthening a priority for you in improving your smile, several teeth will be lengthened and the entire gum will be recontoured to unveil a brighter, healthier smile.
Crown Lengthening Benefits
- Appearance: Crown lengthening is often done to improve the look of the patient’s smile. This procedure has a high success rate in boosting confidence and relieving normal social anxieties about the appearance of a gummy smile.
- Eating and speaking: Most of our patients are more comfortable eating, drinking and speaking after crown lengthening has been performed to remove excessive gingival display.
- Gum Health: Cleanliness and hygiene are easier to maintain as well, making crown lengthening a smart preventive move to protect the health of your teeth and gums.
Call us Today at 603-432-6430 for more information about Dentures or click here to request an appointment online! Our practice welcomes patients from
Derry, Nashua, Salem, Manchester, Hudson, Litchfield, Windham
and all surrounding communities.